How to Stop Waking up During the Night
Waking up in the middle of the night is not a pleasant experience. How many times have you struggled to fall back asleep and then woke up the next morning feeling less than rested? Some people may have certain medical conditions or sleep disorders that cause their sleep to be interrupted night after night. To better understand a sleep problem, it is best to speak with your doctor. But there are other factors that cause people to wake up during the night that you can relieve all by yourself! Here are some ways to stop waking up during the night…
1. Eliminate light. Melatonin, the hormone that causes us to feel sleepy, is triggered by darkness. When there is too much light in your bedroom, melatonin may not be produced. In order to fall asleep and not wake up during the night, make sure you are surrounded by complete darkness. Don’t keep the TV on, cover lights from your alarm clock or digital devices, and keep your blinds shut. Lights from the street or cars can also cause you to wake up during the night. If you have removed all the possible lighting from your room, try wearing an eye mask to sleep.
2. Eliminate sound. Things that go bang in the night may startle us out of our sleep. If you sleep with a partner who snores, this may also cause you to have an interrupted night’s rest. Try using white noise to help you snooze throughout the night. White noise machines help to mask other awakening sounds with a repetitive sound that you will soon grow used to. If this doesn’t help, try getting earplugs.
3. Cut back on liquids. Drinking juices, water and other beverages right before you go to bed is not always a good idea. This may cause you to wake up during the night to use the restroom. Try cutting back on liquids for a full night’s sleep.
4. Buy a new mattress or pillow. Sometimes the cause of our waking in the night is an uncomfortable mattress or pillow. If you find that you are constantly tossing and turning and are unable to achieve a comfortable position, your mattress may be too old and should be replaced. If you wake up during the night because your neck hurts or you can’t get your head into a comfortable position, it may be because your pillow is not right for you. Check out Dormia mattresses and pillows if you are looking for the perfect night’s rest!
5. Cut out alcohol. Some people may use alcohol to help them fall asleep faster, but drinking alcohol before bed actually has negative consequences. Alcohol actually decreases sleep duration and quality and causes people to wake up more frequently during the night. Alcohol tends to deepen sleep during the first half of the night, but then disrupts it during the second half. Therefore, drinking alcohol has negative effects on one’s sleep cycle.
6. Don’t drink coffee after 4 PM. Caffeine is a stimulant that blocks sleep-inducing chemicals in the brain. While it is used during the day to increase alertness, drinking caffeine products in the late afternoon and in the evening will have negative impacts on your sleep. If you find that you are waking up during the night and are drinking coffee late in the evening, it’s time to cut it out!
We hope that these tips will help you to eliminate any factors that are causing you to wake up during the night. If you have any other tips, advice or suggestions, please feel free to leave them below!